Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sai Bhaji



After making the berry pulao, there was a whole lot of dill lying in the fridge. There was no question about what to do with it - I decided to make Sai Bhaji, a quintessential Sindhi mixed vegetable. The dill imparts a lovely flavour this (almost) one pot meal.

Sai Bhaji was one of the first things I learnt to make.... I remember vividly sitting in front of the T.V. noting the recipe from an episode on Sanjeev Kapoor's Khana Khazana. Ironically, I hadn't made this one in almost 5 years!! Somehow, I think I simply forgot about this amazing mixed vegetable. Now that I have re-discovered the recipe, I sure am going to make this often.

Ingredients:

1 bunch spinach
1/2 bunch methi (fenugreek) leaves
1/2 bunch dill
(wash and chop all the three)

1/4 cup chana dal, soaked for 3-4 hrs
1 large onion, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1" piece ginger, minced
1 potato, cut into cubes (I didn't peel it)
dry masalas - red chilli powder, 1 tsp each cumin and coriander powder, 1 tsp amchur, 1/2 tsp chat masala, 1/4 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp oil

for the tempering:

2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 dried red chillies
1.5 tbsp oil

Method:

1. Heat oil and saute onion and ginger in it till the onion turns pink.
2. Discard the water from the soaked chana dal and the potato and saute with the onion.
3. Add all the dry masalas and fry for a minute.
4. Add all the chopped greens, tomato and 1/2 a cup of water.
5. Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
6. Do the tempering once the pressure drops - Heat oil, add the garlic and let it turn golden. Then pop in the cumin seeds, let them crackle and the add the dried red chillies. Pour this over the cooked vegetable.
7. Simmer for about 10 -15 minutes.

(Notes : I didnt saute the onions, instead I simply pressure cooked everything together for a healthier version.
2. I didnt have fresh methi leaves and used 3 tbsps kasoori methi).



No comments:

Post a Comment

It is not just about the ingredients or the recipe, good food happens when it is served with love!!

Powered by Blogger.



Search This Blog

Follow me!


Served With Love is on Facebook

Proud member of FoodBlogs
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker
CookEatShare Featured Author

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.