Friday, August 28, 2009

Coconut Burfi or Naaralachi Wadi

Many many moons ago, I knew a boy. He would wait for me patiently every single evening. He would be impatient and would sulk if I were even a little late. As he heard me come up the stairs, he would run down and carry my bag for me.

"Hurry up, let's go", he would order me. "I've been waiting so long for you".

I was six, he was five and we were the best of playmates. His school finished in the afternoon, mine started in the afternoon and I would be back home around 6 in the evening. And so, playtime in evening was really very precious. Not a moment to be wasted.

And though I'd also be hungry, I didn't have time to eat. So my mum would have some atte ke ladoo or vadis or coconut burfi (we call it naaralachi wadi) always ready on hand. A glass of milk and a couple of ladoos or wadis in each hand and I'd be out of the door.

Naaral wadi is something that I still love very much and I make a batch of this pretty often.



Ingredients:

Scrapped coconut: 1.5 cups
Milk: 1.5 cups
Sugar:1 cup sugar (I put about 3/4 cup and was quite happy with the sweetness)
Almond powder: 1/4 cup (you could also substitute this with pistachio or cashewnut powder)

for flavouring:

powdered cardamom
saffron (optional)
or
rose essence: 1/4 tsp
pink food colour

Method:

Combine the scrapped coconut and milk in a wide wok. (Also add the saffron, if using). Cook, stirring occasionally, till the milk thickens.
Then add in the sugar and the almond powder and continue to stir and cook the mixture. As the mixture reduces, it tends to splutter so do have your gloves on!
When it leaves the sides of the pan and converges to the centre of the pan, add in the cardamom powder. If you opt to make rose flavoured burfis, then skip the cardamom powder and add the rose essence and the pink food colour. Stir for a bit more till it becomes a little dry around the outside edges.

Layer the mixture on a plate lined with butter paper - I use my 9" round cake pan for this. Grease the back of a flat plate with some ghee and run it over the layer to get an even finish.
The size of the layer is entirely upto you, just remember, the thicker the layer, the longer it will take for the wadi to set. I normally make a one cm thick layer.

After about half an hour, when the mixture is at room temperature, cut into squares or diamonds and let the wadi cool further for about 4 hrs (patience, patience), after which, peel off the butter paper, separate the pieces and store in an airtight container.
I store mine in the fridge.

This wadi is highly addictive, you just can't stop at one!! And, packed with the goodness of milk and almond powder, with sugar to give the added energy boost, these are the ideal grab and go evening energy snack!

So, this is my entry to Cooking For Kids: Evening Snacks hosted by Divya, event started by Sharmi of Neivedyam.

Also sending this to Sanghi's FIL: Milk.

19 comments:

  1. Ha,what a delight..feel like grabbing some..perfect for the events !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow thats my fav.. love to have one now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I am not a coconut fan.. This one looks tempting. Guess would like it too. will try it out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats such a sweet story :)
    coconut burfi is my bro fav..my dad gets a seperate box for him and one for everyone else :)
    i will def be trying this as soon as i go back :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wat a pretty color!! Mouthwatering!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you write, lovely so sweet memories. Loved the burfi too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fond childhood memories....delectable burfi..simple too....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so yum... Flaky and yummy! Perfect texture...

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW... what a recipe.. looks colorful and delicious.. AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Naaralachi Wadi, my Aayi used to make it either with sugar or jaggery. Adding almond powder is new to me. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. am sure almond powder must give a nutty rich taste to the burfi..looks yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can almost taste this:-) combined with the childhood memories.. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I lovee coconut sweets :) :) This looks soo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a nice blog.You can visit my blog view my recipes and give ur comments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love these barfis... perfect for diwali...

    ReplyDelete

It is not just about the ingredients or the recipe, good food happens when it is served with love!!

Powered by Blogger.



Search This Blog

Follow me!


Served With Love is on Facebook

Proud member of FoodBlogs
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker
CookEatShare Featured Author

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.