Monday, June 22, 2009

Eggless, Low Fat Mango Ice Cream

Patience is not a virtue that I have in abundance, and ice cream making really tests my patience. I mean, imagine making the ice cream and then blending it again and again and again and again and again and again - see, aren't you already running out of patience reading 'again and again' - before being able to completely freeze it and eat it! That takes real patience and restraint and so more often than not, I'd end up with store bought ice creams.

But there is nothing like home made ice cream and so finally, last month, I trooped down to an electronics store and bought an ice cream maker.

Ice cream making is such a breeze now - wonder why I waited so long to buy one!!


Most of the ice cream recipes that came along with the ice cream maker or the ones I found on the net used either egg yolk or cream. Considering we have a major sweet tooth and indulge in ice creams very often, I wanted an ice cream that used neither egg yolks or cream - a slightly healthier version.


I was complaining about this to my mum and she mailed me this recipe - this is a recipe that she had in her old recipe book - and boy! what a lovely, creamy ice cream it results in.


I have made numerous flavours - chocolate, lychee, vanilla (you have been warned - I will be posting ice creams very often now!)- but when it is the season for mangoes, how can I not make mango ice cream?




Eggless Low Fat Mango Ice Cream


Ingredients

Low Fat Milk - 400 ml + 50 ml
Unsweetened Skimmed Milk Powder - 40 gms ( I used Saagar Milk Powder)
Sugar - 40 gms (use more or les depending on the sweetness of the mango)
Cornflour - 1 tsp
Mango pulp - 400 ml

Method:

Mix together milk powder, sugar and cornflour with 50 ml milk to make a smooth paste without any lumps; this is takes a lot of patience so I whiz mine in the mixie.

Boil the remaining milk, then add the paste slowly stirring continuously and bring it to a boil. Simmer for 2 mins. Let it cool - I cool this in an ice water bath.

Once it cools, add the mango pulp and blend it in the mixie.

Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions. Tada....enjoy the delicious and creamy mango ice cream!!

(If you don't have an ice cream maker, then blend the ice cream 4-6 times everytime it reaches a semi -soft stage to break the crystals).



28 comments:

  1. Faboulous mango ice cream Aqua!!!delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what perfect scoops of ice cream, looks heavenly, you can send the click to click:stacks event to!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow beautiful and dlcious.
    Wish i ahd that bowl of pure happiness now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom used to make mango kulfi on my birthday when I was a kid... it is still my favourite icecream

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely ice cream dear..You should have posted the pic of ur new Ice cream maker too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.. tasty and guit-free! looks so mouth watering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very delicious one, and indeed guilt free. Will surely try out. Superb recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mango ice cream looks delicious..one of my fav.

    Trupti
    Fashion Deals For Less

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks heavenly ..very nice tempting recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is awesome! I too prefer ice cream without addition of cream. Now I'm certainly going to give a thought abt purchasing an ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! that looks awesome. I make eggless ice cream too, but not such a fat free version. This one is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome icecream, looks just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That ice cream sounds and looks delicious! A wonderful flavor!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow..so creamy n perfect..now i have a mango icheem craving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the idea of using a blender to give your ice-cream a jump start. Mango's such a great flavor in frozen treats. Your version looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this one has come out fab..would have to say..u r the best icecream maker in the blogdom ive come across!!
    perfecto for summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    We have just added your latest post "Eggless, Low Fat Mango Ice Cream" to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


    Warm Regards

    foodnrecipes.info Team

    http://www.foodnrecipes.info

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also prefer making desserts that dont use raw eggs...so this dessert is perfect for that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I followed your link from Viki's chicken roundup! Very yummy recipes and nice blog !
    Love your mango icecream...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love Mango in any form....this looks delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  21. im waiting to buy an icecream maker!! this is a bowl of ecstacy for me!! especially with the mango flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  22. aww..I just wana pop those balls into ma mouth..howpretty they are Aqua..:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Delicious mango icecream ... Perfect for the summer ....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yummy Ice cream. Good for this hot weather:).

    ReplyDelete
  25. The recipe sound great.
    I am unable to get the ice cream to set in an electric icecream maker. Any tips ?

    ReplyDelete

It is not just about the ingredients or the recipe, good food happens when it is served with love!!

Powered by Blogger.



Search This Blog

Follow me!


Served With Love is on Facebook

Proud member of FoodBlogs
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker
CookEatShare Featured Author

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.