Thursday, June 18, 2009

Microwave Palak Paneer

There was a time when my daughter was very fascinated by colours - she still is - but back then, she was just understanding the colours and learning to identify them and so she would talk about colours all the time.

So, I thought it would be a great idea to induce her to eat different (healthy) food types by talking about food in terms of colour.

So there was white mummum (mummum is food BTW, for her) = curd rice, and orange mummum = khichdi, or yellow mummum = egg curry and so on. I even managed pink mummum = pureed beetroot with yoghurt. What had me and still has me stumped was the day she asked for faint blue mummum!

Faint blue mummum.....any suggestions?

Green mummum = palak paneer is something that she loves, here's my version of it.




Microwave Palak Paneer

Ingredients:

Spinach - 2 cups, loosely packed (leaves only)
Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Tomatoes - 1 medium, chopped
Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
Green chilli* - 1
Cumin seeds - 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric - a pinch
Red chilli powder* - to taste
Salt - to taste
Sugar - 1/2 tsp

*when I make this for my daughter, I completely omit the green chilli and the red chilli powder



Method:

Discard the stalks of the spinach, retaining only the leaves.
(Dont throw away the stalks though - I normally boil them in some water and use the resulting broth to knead dough to make rotis)

Clean the leaves by washing them under running water.
(This is extremely critical when cooking with greens)

Then, add half a cup of water and blanch the spinach in the microwave - this should take about 3 mins, depending on the power of your microwave. Set aside to cool.

Next, in microwave proof bowl, add oil and heat it for a minute. Add cumin seeds and garlic and microwave for a minute and half.

Then add the onions (and green chilli) and cook for 2 mins, stirring once in between. Put the tomatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring twice in between. Blend this together with the blanched spinach leaves to a smooth puree.

Add the paneer, the dry masalas and the seasoning, microwave for another 5 mins, stirring twice in between and serve hot with jeera rice/rotis.

This is my entry to CFK:Greens hosted by Pavani, event started by Sharmi

22 comments:

  1. Nice microwave version dear...looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. never tried palak paneer in microwave, will try soon, between it looks creamy and mummummmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Microwave version seems quite delicious Aqua..looks beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks! actually, I've realised that I am able to retain the green colour better in the M?/W..somehow, when I make it on the stove top, my palak paneer turns a very unappetising green!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Thanks for your comment on my blog:) palak looks so tempting and vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a jiffy..never tried palak paneer in microwave...btn looks creamy & delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! microwave recipe sounds so good! u have a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Palak Paneer in Microwave sounds easy , should try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow microwave prepared Palak Paneer sounds so easy. Looks creamy n delicious! Surely a kids favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. out of a microwave and looks so great..this is fab.
    im a total amateur in using the microwave !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this dish..Mw version has come out too nice Aqua..b/w me too used to see mummum as a kid..lol..for faint blue mummum..u can try perhaps some purple cabbage khichdi or smtng..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. palak paneer looks yummy.. never tried in microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is how I make palak paneer too since it retains the fresh green color which I love. So does my daughter. This is made almost every week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tell me who wouldnt love this palak paneer.Its looks so very good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the bright green color of the palak. Never thought of making it in the microwave,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amiable fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

    ReplyDelete

It is not just about the ingredients or the recipe, good food happens when it is served with love!!

Powered by Blogger.



Search This Blog

Follow me!


Served With Love is on Facebook

Proud member of FoodBlogs
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker
CookEatShare Featured Author

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.