Thursday, January 8, 2009

Let's GO NUTS! - In the spotlight: Peanuts/Groundnuts

Contrary to popular belief, emerging research suggests that nuts are actually good for all of us!

“Scientific evidence suggests but does not prove that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease.”

According to FDA, types of nuts eligible for this claim are restricted to almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, some pine nuts, pistachio nuts and walnuts.

Nuts are a great source of protein, packed with fibre, calcium and iron and fat, but the good fat (mono and polyunsaturated fats). In fact, as I read up more an more about the nutritional benefits of nuts, I was increasingly convinced that having a handful of nuts regularly is akin to popping a multi-vitamin pill! Just follow this link to get more details on the nutrients packed in nuts.

In addition to the health benefits, nuts impart, for lack of a better word, a lovely nutty flavour and a great texture to the food they are added to. Have them straight out of a bowl or add them to salads or curries or pasta or cookies and cakes - they can be eaten in so many versatile ways!

So why don't we all get cooking with nuts?

Announcing my first ever event - Let's go nuts!

In the spotlight for this month - Peanuts/Groundnuts

Conversation (and drinks) flow easily with a bowl of peanuts, it seems! World over, there are countless restaurants that will serve peanuts, steamed or roasted as munchies, especially with drinks.

When I think peanuts, I am reminded of the time when we (the husband and I while we were dating) used sit at Marine Drive. Almost always, we would buy some piping hot peanuts from the hawkers there who would roast them in huge woks. They were cheap and filling, and we would chat for hours, the sound of cracking the shells adding a lovely crunch to our conversation!

But peanuts are much more than chat and drink accompaniments. Technically, they are not nuts - but, surprise, surprise - legumes! And they pack in quite a punch in just a handful. The list of nutrients found in one ounce of peanuts is so long that I don't think I can list them here!! Just read this - I was so amazed!!

So let's all go nuts with peanuts this month!

To participate:

- Just post a recipe - just about anything - with peanuts in your blog between now and Jan. 31st, 2009 with a link to this announcement. Old posts (re-posted linking to this event) are welcome. Non-bloggers, please send me a mail with a photo. And of course, multiple entries are (very) welcome.

- Mail your entry (with the subject as Let's Go Nuts) to aquadaze@rediffmail.com with the following details:
your blog name
name of your entry
URL of your entry
a picture of your entry

I don't have a logo yet, but hope to set that right soon.

And hey you guys, I do realise this is a huge leap of faith for a new and relatively unknown blogger like me, but I am counting on your support (in the form of entries) to make this event a success.

21 comments:

  1. it's a neat idea. i'll add it to our events calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. let me see what I can add :-) Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome new event, aquadaze!! will figure somethingout, to send to ur event!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a nice event...will surely try to send in something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. bee, thanks for adding it to the event calendar. Raaga, JZ, Srivalli, am eagerly looking forward to your entries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If i go nuts i will surley send them to you.
    Now i just have to think what i am going to make for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. will surely send something for the event

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have already started thinking what to send for the event...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, happy cook, sagari, arundhuti and preety...do keep visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmm lets see if I can come up with something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice event theme ..i think I have something for this event

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm nuts about peanuts,will send you a seen for sure:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey soma, trupti and yasmeen eagerly awaiting your entries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. :) rajee putting mine up on tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just saw a peanut entry and coming here. Love nuts, let see what i can make it for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea for a event. Enjoy. I will see if I have any for you! :))

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh dear saw this event only today...phew! sorry I wish I could be part of this..haven't even made anything with peanuts, but I did use groundnut oil for frying my nedhu vadas..will it work?

    http://cooking-up-a-storm-zaayeka.blogspot.com/2009/01/savoury-dough-nutnaahcall-me-medhu-vada.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I ve sent my entry, hope it reached ur inbox

    ReplyDelete
  19. First time here, will send in my entry. My husband loves peanuts and wishes I would add it to everything.

    ReplyDelete

It is not just about the ingredients or the recipe, good food happens when it is served with love!!

Powered by Blogger.



Search This Blog

Follow me!


Served With Love is on Facebook

Proud member of FoodBlogs
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker
CookEatShare Featured Author

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.