Monday, November 21, 2011

Announcing Back to Basics: Basic Desserts

In my last post, I mentioned how blogging had made me stretch my boundaries in the kitchen and pushed me into making things that I would otherwise never have attempted before.


While that statement would largely refer to things such as baking bread, making the baklava, or kouign-amann, one of the things that blogging has made me do is revisit the simple, easy things that I had hitherto  not ever made at home. Things I always went into a grocery store and purchased. Things as easy as spice blends, butter and cheese, jams and sauces. I have now realised that making my own pantry staples is not just healthier but a lot cheaper too.



Back to Basics, started by Desi Soccer Mom, is an event that celebrates these very simple and basic cooking techniques. In its new form, the event now looks at a distinct theme every month.


Now, I've had these moments, I am sure you've had them too. That moment when you feel like having something sweet - mind you, it is not a craving for a dessert. Just that sweet something which would make your meal that much more satisfying. Sometimes, I simply mix in some jaggery with a bit of ghee and eat it with a roti. Sometimes,  I reach out for a bottle of strawberry preserve and smear it over a slice of bread. 


So, this month, let's look at quick and easy to make jams, jellies and preserves. That something which you can make and keep in your pantry and then eat when the craving strikes.


Here's what you need to do:


Post your recipe of an easy to make jam or jelly or preserve, then link it post to this post and to the Back to Basics event page.


Older posts qualify as long as they are linked to this event announcement and Jaya's event page.


If you don't have a blog, just email me your recipe for a favourite jam, jelly or preserve and I will include it in the round-up.



Send me your entries mentioning Back to Basics : Basic Sweets in the subject line on aquadaze(AT)rediffmail(DOT)com


Last date for sending your entries is December 20, 2011. I will post the round up in the first week of January.







3 comments:

  1. I am sure I have a few in the archives and / or drafts. Will post and tag to this soon. Happy hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I made home-made custard for the first time and was amazed by the taste. Hope this qualifies as a basic dessert? Do let me know, shall send in my entry..

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey i don't think jams and jellies qualify as desserts! #justasking..

    ReplyDelete

It is not just about the ingredients or the recipe, good food happens when it is served with love!!

Powered by Blogger.



Search This Blog

Follow me!


Served With Love is on Facebook

Proud member of FoodBlogs
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker
CookEatShare Featured Author

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.