Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Spicy Prawn Curry

I am one who is likes to experiment with different cuisines.
psst...Except when it comes to fish. I am very very biased where fish is concerned. I love to have my fish cooked only in the desi (Indian) style, the spicier, the better.

I also don't like monotony in food and therefore, I tend to experiment with different recipes very often.
psst...However, when it comes to prawns, there are absolutely no experiments. I tend to alternate between two recipes. This spicy prawn curry is my favourite; I've been having it for as long as I can remember and needless to say, it is the one I make most often.




Ingredients:

Prawns - 500 gms, peeled and de-veined ( I leave the tail on as it makes for a nicer presentation)

Shallots - 3/4 cup, sliced (if you don't have shallots, use normal onions by all means)
Tomatoes - 2 large
Garlic - 1 tbsp, finely minced
Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
Green chillies - 3, finely chopped
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp, lightly roast these and pound to a powder
Curry leaves - 10 - 12
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Coconut milk - 100 ml
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt
Oil - 1 tbsp + 1.5 tbsp

Method:

Marinate the prawns in a little turmeric powder and juice of half a lemon for about 30 mins.

Heat about a tbsp of oil, add the half the curry leaves followed by the prawns. Fry for about 2 mins or till the prawns turn white in colour. Set aside.

In the same pan, heat the remaining oil. Add the balance curry leaves and the garlic. Fry for a minute and then add the onions, ginger and the green chillies, stirring constantly till the onions turn pink.

Now, toss in the tomatoes and fry till they become soft and mushy. Stir in the remaining turmeric, coriander seed powder, red chilli powder and salt and then tip in the prawns. Increase the heat to high and keep stirring constantly and briskly till the prawns are firm but cooked.
(don't over cook the prawns, that will just kill the taste and the texture!)

Add the coconut milk, once it starts to simmer, take the pan off the heat and stir in the chopped coriander leaves. Cover and let it rest for about an hour before serving so as to allow all the flavours to mingle together.

Served with piping hot rice, this is the closest you can get to culinary heaven!

12 comments:

  1. I am drooling here seeing tha tpicture, looks so so creamy delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore seafood probably that would be the right word. But I really slow down over this years because of husb and son who rarely appreciate the seafood smell in my home :( I cannot stop drooling over ur pict!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey AD,
    Used to love sea food :) I'm a vegetarian now :)but reading the ingredients (coconut milk esp.) I bet it tasted heavenly.
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very delicious looking curry.When it come to non-veg that too eafood, I think most of us go with just one favorite recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey thanks for stopping by at my blog and for the wonderful comments..you've got a nice space too here!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by kothiyavunu and for nice comments.
    My all time fav prawns...Your prawn curry makes me drool, looks so spicy and delectable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lovely curry. I love my prawns with coconut milk too, though sometimes I just stir fry them quick with some garam masala and curry leaves. And I agree, prawns/ shrimp should never be overcooked. They get stringy and chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. first time here dear...u have lovely space...thanks for ur lovely comments......here after will be peeking here frequently and started fallowing ur blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time here....Curry looks spicy and tempting...Following uuu.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prawns looks delicious... I love prawns in any form..

    ReplyDelete

It is not just about the ingredients or the recipe, good food happens when it is served with love!!

Powered by Blogger.



Search This Blog

Follow me!


Served With Love is on Facebook

Proud member of FoodBlogs
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker
CookEatShare Featured Author

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.