Monday, April 20, 2009

Thai Olive Rice

Put a group of mothers together and chances are one of their favourite talking point would be their kids' eating habits. Or the lack of them. My little one is an extremely fussy eater and has nearly driven me to tears of frustration over her refusal to try different food groups.

I would fuss and fret till I learnt what most mothers are very adept at...the art of camoulflage. I no longer sweat over stuff she does not eat, I simply disguise it like I do in this thai olive fried rice.



Thai Olive Fried Rice:

Traditionally, this rice uses pork mince (find the original recipe here), however, I have substituted the mince with grated cauliflower and cabbage. Being grated, they leave no visible trace of their presence in the rice and my otherwise fussy eater eats this without any protest!!

Ingredients:

Grated Cauliflower - 3/4 cup
Grated Cabbage - 3/4 cup
Pitted black olives - 1/4 cup, cut into small bits
Garlic, finely minced - 2 tsp
Ginger, grated - 1/2 tsp
Dark soya sauce - 2 tsp
Vegetarian oyster sauce - 1 1/2 tsp
Vinegar - 1 tsp
Sambal olek or chilli flakes, optional - 1 tsp (or to taste)
Sugar - 1 tsp
Spring onion - for garnish, optional
Oil - 1 1/2 tbsp

Rice - 3/4 cup

Method:

Cook rice with a little bit of salt. Spread it on a plate to cool; mix in a bit of oil so that the grains don't stick to each other.

Heat oil in a pan - the oil has to be really hot! Fry the ginger and garlic till fragrant. Next add the grated cabbage and cauliflower and stir fry for a minute. Add the olives (reserve some for garnishing), followed by the sauces and stir fry for a further two minutes.

Next, toss in the rice and stir till the rice is evenly coated with the stir fried mince. Check for salt, the sauces have plenty of it, chances are you won't need to add any.

Garnish with the reserved olives and spring onion and serve hot with some cucumber slices.

Notes:
Cold rice does not work for this, room temperature is what is needed when making fried rice.
Heat is the key to this rice - work quickly on a very high flame for best results.



This goes out to:
AFAM: Olives guest hosted by Priya of Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes , event started by Maheshwari,
Vaishali's It's a Vegan World: Thai guest hosted by Priya of Akshayapaatram and
Cooking for Kids: Rice, event started by Sharmi guest hosted by Trupti.


As an aside, anyone wants to guess what the following picture is all about? All about it in my next post :)







36 comments:

  1. Nice delectable rice recipe... Comforting I liked the sliced Olive rings... You can also send your recipe to:

    Kadumanga's COT - Flavored Rice event
    http://kadumanga.blogspot.com/2009/03/colors-of-taste-powders-flavored-rice.html

    Side looks like cranberry or is it something else... Cant wait for your next post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! I would pick all the Olives there first to eat and than may be eat the rest later! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for dropping by my blog. This is a wonderful recipe with all those olives...I am mad about olives and I think like Asha I would be picking up the olives first..I am sure your little one loves this dish..will try it for sure. I loved your strawberry swirl frozen yoghurt...yummy blog served with love for sure...will be back here again and again..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow!I have never imagined rice with olives.Looks so good!

    I think the last pic is dried hibiscus..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healthy rice..Olives are so perfect for any time !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kiddos don't like veggies either,unless in flavorful disguise like this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the rcie dish looks really yummy.
    When my daughter was small she was a real fussy eater especially when it comes to vegetable and i have to admit she is still same with the veg, there are times when she makes me cranky for not eating her veg.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of this..Healthy post..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi AD,
    Thai olive rice looks healthy..health packed food hmmm....
    The other snap must be kokum...or something?! will wait for the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds great girl... i love olives. should be good in the rice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi AD,
    me again gee..:) pls collect the award from my blog dear, I'd be glad if u do :)
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats a delicious olive rice Aqua, makes me hungry, thanks a lot for sending to AFAM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Olive in rice sounds good for me, the guess pictu is it pickle?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice new recipe. Will defintely try it. And the second pic looks like prunes or cranberries. Will have to wait and see:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thats an innovative new cuisine rice! Looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice recipe..creative idea..yummy..that looks like either cran berry/drried grated beetrot..will wait for your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. yummy rice...olives never tried in rice :)..i have posted a recipe for ur event..will mail soon..

    ReplyDelete
  18. is that kokum?

    And olives is a great addition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that olive here. & i thought only Italian cuisines had olives! my little one loves olives, & she will put it as a ring & eat them up.

    is it plum, or some flower petal?

    your rajma looks mouthwatering, some hot rice, onion & lemon is all i need with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delicious recipe.. Looks inviting!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice delish Thai rice with olives. its my first time here and I must say u have got a wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both cauliflower and cabbage are still in season here, so I will try out this recipe, it looks really good.

    Te side looks like either dried lavender flowers or hibiscus.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post :) Have never imagined adding olives to Thai fried rice. Healthy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. aah..That fried rice is true yum..True Aqua..All moms have to master this art of camouflage I guess..Poor my mom..How she suffered..:D
    ..n is that Beet fritter??

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is a yummy, different kind of fried rice to me

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ramya, thanks for the info!

    Asha, Sakshi - even I tend to pick out the olives while eating :)

    Madhumati, Mangocheeks - you are spot on, it is dried hibiscus!!

    Yasmeen, HC - it is so trying, isn't it, to get them to eat healthy stuff?

    Ann, pooja, Mahimaa - this is really one healthy rice esp with all the veggies

    Suparna, thank you so much for sharing the award with us :)

    Priya, glad you like the entry :)

    Cham, Smitha hope you try it and like it.

    Priya S, Lavanya - must admit, not very innovative, as I have just adapted the original recipe

    Ramya, thanks for the entry :)

    Soma, this actually uses chinese olive which i couldn't find - the flavour they impart is quite distinct!

    N, Deesha, Anu S,Pooja N33ma - Thanks!

    Vishali, thank you for visiting - glad you like my blog!

    Varsha, I guess it is only after we grow up that we truly appreciate what we must have put our parents through!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like Olives and this rice sure looks yum yum...gud one

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think its such a lottery whether you kid turns out to be a fussy eater or not.

    Mine eats mostly everything - veggies, dal, pasta rotis, rice, rasam, curd - BUT she fusses about fruits which are "slimy or slippery". I try to remember that she is not "fussy" otherwise and let it go.

    But it's difficult, as mothers, to think that they might not be eating all that they should.

    I guess eventually they will - we all did :)

    Till then, such manouevring would be the best bet I guess! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a delicious idea, this fried rice, and I love the olives in it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a delicious idea, this fried rice, and I love the olives in it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Though I love olives, I've never thought about adding them to fried rice. Very tasty idea!

    ReplyDelete
  32. hi friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I was searching allowing for regarding that meticulous make. The prices as regards the shoes were approximately 200 dollars everwhere. But completely I base this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order those. what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  33. for authentic thai olive right, you need to use salted black chinese olive, not those pitted black olive.

    ReplyDelete

It is not just about the ingredients or the recipe, good food happens when it is served with love!!

Powered by Blogger.



Search This Blog

Follow me!


Served With Love is on Facebook

Proud member of FoodBlogs
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker
CookEatShare Featured Author

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.